Friday 14 November 2014

Another Week

This was another busy week for us starting with a meeting with one of the builders on Monday night which went really well.  All four of us liked him and he had some great suggestions for us on where we could save some money without putting up some cr*ppy little place for the old people.  We are waiting for his final quote after we made a few changes on the night.

What didn't go so well was the phone call from Council advising that, despite a meeting with them and a few phone calls to confirm overlay maps etc, the application that we submitted would result in us having to pay $19k in infrastructure charges.  This all despite the fact that we had been advised to get the size of the house/garage under 100m2 to avoid infrastructure charges !!!  This meant that we had to redo the whole application - a trying task that we finished at 11.45pm that night - and, we went to the bottom of the pile again.  That was the worst thing about it because basically now we are 12 days behind where we were and, given we are trying to get the retainer wall at the back of the house and the retainer wall for the slab built before the Christmas break, we are cutting it really fine now.  But, I'm of the opinion that things will get built when they get built and stressing about it isn't going to make them get done any quicker.

Yesterday after work I went to see my podiatrist to see if he could help with the pains I am getting in the balls of my feet when I run.  The body glide has definitely helped HEAPS with the burning but the pain has still been there.

He has recommended I get a different pair of orthotics for running because there is not enough cushioning in my current pair which are fine for every day wear (although I only really wear them in winter when I wear shoes - in summer I spend most days in thongs or barefoot in the office).  He said that I am suffering from capsulitis where the nerves and tendons on the bones of the balls of my feet are inflammed from the added pressure of running on them. I said that I knew that my weight was not helping but, at the moment, there wasn't anything that I did that was moving it so I am trying to increase my exercise to burn more calories in the hope of creating a calorie deficit which would have to result in some weight loss at some point in time.

He also said that he wouldn't recommend the running shoes that I am using as they are over correcting my problem.  I have run about 850kms in them and they will be fine for walking in - just not to run in.  He gave me the names of two pairs of shoes so I am going to see how much they cost and look into buying one of those pairs.  Hopefully I will be able to sell the second pair that I have at home (same as the original pair I bought) that I have run exactly 2km in !!!!  He also adapted my current orthotics to spread the load under the balls of my feet better so, hopefully, that will help until I get my running orthotics.

Her back yard

We got some photos this morning from K showing the first snow fall in the garden.  They did have some snow on Halloween but it melted as soon as it landed on the ground.  When I FaceTimed a little while later she had to keep changing her hand holding the phone as she doesn't have gloves and it was too cold to keep one hand out her jacket longer than about 25-30 seconds !  She said that getting gloves was the last thing she needed and then she should be set for winter.  When the wind doesn't blow she said it's amazing but when the wind blows - it goes right through you if you don't have the right clothes.

Another view



This weekend we are expecting temps in the mid to high 30s so I think we are going to spend lots of time inside with the aircon on as I doubt there will be much in the way of breezes around.  Plus, they started digging for the deck on the little veranda on Wednesday so there is sand e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e - the dogs haven't been allowed inside because they are just covered in dust and think it's great to be able to run up and down these huge sand banks.  I do hope that all that they have dug out will be used to support the floor when they do eventually throw the slab otherwise we are going to have a continual layer of dust over everything in the house which will drive me to drink quicker than you can say Jack Flash !  They are supposed to be pouring the concrete today for the foundations and the footings.  Then they have to build the supporting walls and then they can throw the slab - the quicker the better is all I can say !!

I have a 9km run planned for tonight - I hope that it will have cooled down a little by the time I leave work this afternoon !!!!

Have the best weekend !

TFTD :  Love and kindness can move mountains.  Learn to give without any reason.  Today, be someone who helps someone else look forward to tomorrow.

8 comments:

  1. They don't call it the windy city for nothing!! I've never been, but Mike lived there for a little while and he loved it. Nice back yard, too! How did you go with your 9k run? I was supposed to do park run this morning and didn't, at the last minute, opting instead for pancakes. We are going to go around Emerald Lakes later in the day when it has cooled off. I thought I saw on FB the council had approved everything? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, council approval received. I didn't do the 9km run because I got my orthotics modified and by the time I had run 2km my feet were killing me. I'm doing 2-3km runs this week until I get my new running orthotics - then I'll have to run them in as well but hopefully once I have the new ones and new running shoes my feet will stop hurting so much.
      Have the best day ! xox

      Delete
  2. The building of your own house sounds far too stressful for the likes of me. All that red tape would drive me nuts. My house is very dusty. I don't know where it comes from but my suburb is known as a dusty one so it must just blow in. When we move I'll make sure I don't pick a dusty suburb.

    I get a sharp electric shock feeling in the balls of my feet sometimes when I'm walking. I definitely need to go to a podiatrist especially in regards to my massive bunion. I hope your pain goes away. You are completely right that more exercise is the only way to shift weight. Restricting eating to starvation doesn't work on me anymore. I'm going to have to hit the road big time too. Great post Linda, I've been waiting patiently :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure eating less is not working for me either - it has to be exercise that shifts these excess kgs !!!!
      Have a fantastic week !
      xox

      Delete
  3. Good things come to those who wait, it has been ages since I have read blogs...... glad to hear the running is going ok. Over here it is so cold we had a morning temp the other day of -1 degrees and it is suppose to be Spring yeah right. Sorry to hear your mums not doing that well, will be really nice to have them close to you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that is cold for spring !!!! Yes, it will be good to have them close by - at least we can keep a closer eye on them when they are at the bottom of the yard !!!
      Have a great day !
      Me xox

      Delete
  4. The council can make things difficult hey? Hope your application gets approved ASAP so you can start building. It can be a frustrating time but it's not something you can rush cos it's out of your hands. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got approval on Friday afternoon so at least we are one step closer which is a good thing !
      Have a great day !
      Me xox

      Delete

I love getting comments - please feel free to leave a comment to let me know you were here !
Have the best day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...