Friday 18 July 2014

Why I Blog

Firstly, I want to apologise to the lovely ladies who left comments on my last post (which was over 6 weeks ago - where does the time go to ???????????), who kept on coming back to check up on me and couldn't see their comments.  They hadn't been published because apparently there is a setting that says I need to publish them if they are over so many days since the blog post was published (need to change that quick smart !!)

Secondly, I was tagged by Lydia C Lee over at Where The Wild Things Were to write about'Why I Write' which I did change to 'Why I Blog' mainly because I don't really see myself as a writer - in fact I know that I have no imagination to write anything other than the truth !!!

Why Do I Write What I Write ?

I started blogging back in the day when blogs weren't even cool to have a blog in April 2005.  I 'met' some lovely ladies and we were, generally, all on a weight loss journey.  Then FB came along and some moved to FB, some stopped blogging and I had a break.

Then I started blogging again and, again, it was a weight loss blog.  Then it turned into a healthy living blog. Then it turned into a running blog.  Then it turned into a coping with menopause blog.  Of late it's been a very quiet blog.  I have signed up with Operation Move for their 'Learn to Run' program - not because I can't run because I used to run and run, a lot.  But I need the motivation to get running again.  For too long I have had a lot of excuses but August will see me say goodbye to my baby and I need something to take my mind off her leaving.

The MAIN reason that I write what I write is that I hope that I will be able to help others, even just one person, to know that they are not alone in whatever challenges they are facing.  I have faced weight challenges time after time - the ups and downs of losing and gaining weight.  I have faced running challenges.  I was absolutely ecstatic to read on FB that when I was running, I inspired someone else to run and she now runs marathons - that really blew my mind !  I have faced health challenges - and anyone who has been or is going through menopause - will know exactly what I am talking about - so if I can share my story and it helps someone else, my writing has accomplished what I set out to do.

How Does My Writing Differ From Others ?

Well, I definitely don't fall into the category of 'Mummy Bloggers' - and I loathe that term but don't know what else to call them.  I am waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay older than most of them.  I don't share recipes or any type of craft.  I guess this is more just a way for me to document what I have achieved - or not - depending on what stage I'm at.  I suppose there are a few of us 'oldies' (and I use that term in the nicest possible way now that I am getting up there !!!!) who really just blog about life.

What Am I Working On ?

Well, other than this particular post, nothing !!  I don't plan my blog posts.  Most times I have no idea what I am going to blog about - it's a case of, 'OK - I've got 20mins - what can I write about' - especially when I am not really focusing on anything in particular in my life.  Currently I am doing the I Quit Sugar program and feeling heaps better for it although I have had the odd slip up and haven't followed their menu plan exactly.  I have enjoyed some of the food I have tried but I haven't tried every single dish on the menu plan.  And, from August, I will be working on my exercise / running so hopefully I will get some posts out of that.

I am going to ask for a watch that will track my pace, distance etc for my birthday next week - not sure whether I will be asking too late because my birthday present may already have been bought.  Oh well, it will then be a case of driving around to work out distances.  The one challenging thing in this program is going to be the hills - where we used to live, it was flat - like absolutely no hills other than the little bridges over the canals flat - where we now live, it is hilly - like every where you turn, there's another hill.  Am I ready for that - I don't know - we'll see next month when I start !

And now, to pass this on to two other amazing bloggers - I nominate Jules from The Bumpiest Path.  I can't even remember how I 'met' Jules but she is one amazing lady who, not only looks after her own children, but fosters children and recently started to foster Baby Bella who was only 5 days old.  She is selfless in her actions and, you can see, that she would do anything for 'her' children.  They are truly blessed to have her looking after them.  I nominate Chris from Diet Coke Rocks who is in the same age category as me and blogs about her family and her sewing - she sews the most amazing quilts and blankets and pretty much anything that can be made with fabric and a sewing machine.

This is going to be a double link up post - with Sarah from Creating Contentment for Thankful Thursday and with Ann from Help ! I'm Stuck for Things I Know - basically because this post covers both !!!  I am thankful for being tagged by Lydia - it was the prod I needed to get blogging and it's what I know about why I blog !!!

Have the best weekend !!!  I have a weekend full of pulling weeks to look forward to - yay .............. not !!!

TFTD :  What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived.  It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead - Nelson Mandela


25 comments:

  1. I enjoy reading your blog because it gives me a light at the end of the parenting tunnel!!
    Glad to see you back!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes Ann - there definitely is a great big wonderful light at the end of that tunnel !!
      Thanks for hosting a great prompt.
      Me xox

      Delete
  2. I look forward to reading about your new running journey. I started running when I was 30 but gave it away due to knee cap issues, I'm now trying to regularly swim.
    If you miss out on your birthday wish I suggest you download the Map my Run app on your smartphone. The app uses GPS to track your run, your time, pace etc. It is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knee pain was one of the reasons I gave up running but I do have exercises I can do that help make the pain go away !
      I used to use RunKeeper but I have gone back to a Blackberry - not many apps available for it :(
      Have a wonderful weekend and thanks for stopping by !
      Me xox

      Delete
  3. I did have an app on my phone, Map my walk. I think there is a run one too. As long as you have your phone on you, it runs on gps and even takes into account when there are hills. It tells you how far you've gone, how much time it took you. Even how long it took you in 1km splits. How many calories burned. It was free too :)
    Good luck with the running :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to use the Runkeeper when I had the iPhone but now I have a blackberry and it has cr*ppy apps :(
      We were supposed to go yesterday to buy the Garmin but landed up working the whole day - I told him to leave it until after the party on Saturday - and, when life resumes something remotely resembling normalcy for us, we can go and get it (in the meantime I can keep finding out more about what I do and don't want in the watch !!!!)
      Thank you for your good wishes !
      Me xox

      Delete
  4. I didn't realise you'd been blogging for so long - almost a decade! Very impressive. As is your dedication to getting fit and healthy. I can't seem to get into the right head space. I'd probably take up running, but only if cake was dangled in front of me. Ahem. One of the best things about blogging is all the cool people you connect with, like yourself. Good luck with the running. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - for me it really is about trying to be as healthy and as fit as I can be when I turn 50 which happens next year !!!!!
      It's amazing how fast the time goes - I didn't realise that it was nearly 10 yrs already !
      Thank you and I agree - the amazing people I have met through blogging are just that - amazing !!!!
      Have a great week !
      Me xox

      Delete
  5. Yay, lovely to see a blog post from you. I found it so interesting to read how your blogging has evolved over time. As the name of your blog suggests, it's your journey, so it shouldn't be any other way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Francesca - that is exactly right !
      Have a wonderful week and I hope that your house is progressing as it should be !!!
      Me xox

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks Rae - have a fantastic week !
      Me xox

      Delete
  7. Yay! Good to see you here! I didn't realise that you've linked up to #thankfulthursday! I'll check up on that. Thank you, though. It is so lovely to see you again. I've missed you. I'm amazed that you've been blogging for so long. Impressive stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all good Sarah - don't worry about it !!! I"m sorry I haven't been blogging as much as I used to - between financial year end for 6 companies and everything happening at home and with K, blogging has just had to go onto the back burner for a while. Hopefully I can get back into the groove again soon !
      Me xox

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the nomination... I will pass thanks.
    Where the hell is that light at the end of the tunnel? I must be blind!
    I thought I saw it about 13 years ago... but then we got two more babies. *sigh*
    Please god, NO MORE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I hear you !!!!!!!!
      Have the best week !
      Me xox

      Delete
  9. Lovely to see you back L - missed your positivity! And well done for getting back out there, and for no sugar, braver woman than I. Have a great week and I hope you got all those weeds pulled :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that Em. It's funny, I never thought I could give up sugar but once you start, you can do it !!!
      I got some of the weeds pulled - about 8.5hrs worth - still I don't know how many but K has kindly offered to pull some tomorrow seeing as she doesn't want them down the side of the driveway for HER party !!!!
      Have the best afternoon !
      Me xox

      Delete
  10. yay, you're back…so many of those on my blogging list had gone….glad you are not :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen !!!
      Have a wonderful day
      Me xox

      Delete
  11. Still liking your thoughts of the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you S - I'm glad you do !!
      Have the best day and thank you for sharing your travels with us !
      Me xox

      Delete
  12. I love your thoughts for the day. And I'm glad to see you back up and running on the blog too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like them - it's good to be back blogging. I think I'm going to need 'things' to keep my mind from missing my 'baby' too much once she leaves !!!!
      Have a great day !
      Me xox

      Delete
  13. Loved reading your post Linda and wow on doing I quit sugar!
    You've been blogging for so long! That's great!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments - please feel free to leave a comment to let me know you were here !
Have the best day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...